Toggle® Insurance Review
Many renters are under the false impression that if their landlord has home insurance then they are automatically covered by it. Unfortunately, this is not the case. That’s why having renters insurance is so important. Toggle® offers a very customizable ‘all peril’ insurance policy. That means that while a typical policy may not cover your belongings in the event of a flood or an earthquake unless you specifically bought that kind of coverage, Toggle can have your back on everything depending on where you live. Additionally, Toggle has many options that traditional insurance companies will not be able to offer you.
Pros and Cons of Toggle
- Offers a rewards program. Each year in which you have a policy and remain claim free your deductible will decrease to as low as $50.
- Monthly cost for a basic plan can be as little as $5 (GA starts at $7)
- Lots of customizable coverage to meet your needs.
- Only available in 25 States
- Customer service is not available over the phone, but by live chat support
At a Glance
The big draw for Toggle renters insurance is the ability to tailor it to your specific needs. Toggle starts with three levels of coverage including “basic” liability and contents, “standard” for covering more items, and “premium” for covering even nicer items. Toggle can offer you additional coverage for things such as:
- High value items like your phone and computer
- Side jobs you work from home
- Pets and the damage they may cause
- Identity protection
In addition to coverage, Toggle also offers some unique benefits. These include:
- A credit-boosting service for on-time rent payments
- Loyalty rewards that will reduce your deductible
What to Expect
Toggle insurance covers things like loss of use, liability, medical payment coverage and many of the standard things you’d expect from an insurance policy. The personal, customizable add-ons are what make it stand out from the crowd. Toggle also offers rates that are extremely competitive, and in many cases less expensive than the competition depending on the kind of coverage you need.
Toggle offers blanket coverage of $1,000 for personal property. However, you can customize based on different personal property categories. These include:
- Technology Coverage: This will cover loss or damage to things like your laptop, your phone, or your TV. This could cover up to $10,000.
- Furniture and Appliance Coverage: As the name suggests this will give you extra coverage for your bed, your kitchen appliances, your couch and so on. This could cover up to $20,000.
- Fashion and Jewelry Coverage: If you have a collection of clothing and jewelry that you’d like to have covered, this can handle that as well as accessories and makeup. This can cover up to $10,000.
- Collectibles Coverage: If you have a valuable collection of artwork or antiques or things of that nature, this coverage can protect you. This could cover up to $10,000
- Creative Coverage: If you are an artist this can cover the tools of the trade for you. Think of things like cameras, DJ equipment, and 3D printers. This can cover up to $10,000.
- Active Coverage: If you’re someone who is into staying active and healthy this can cover your sports and exercise equipment. This can cover up to $10,000.
- Loss of Use Coverage: This is referred to as temporary living costs and it will cover an amount of living expenses per day if your home can no longer be used for a certain period of time. This can cover anywhere from zero to $150 per day.
Cost and Customer Service
Because there are a range of different types of coverage you can get from Toggle, there is also a range of different costs associated with it.
- If you opt for the Basic plan it’ll only cost $5 a month ($7/month in Georgia).
- For some individuals, the Standard plan is $12.50 a month and features coverage for some of the customizable levels we mentioned above — things like technology and furniture.
- For some individuals, the Premium plan is $25.25 per month. It offers additional coverage going up to $300,000 liability compared to the $100,000 for the other two levels.
If you opt for customizable plans, it can affect your overall price.
In terms of customer service, Toggle has live reps available online to address your needs. Customer reviews suggest that they are very responsive and will get back to you quickly. Their website offers an easy-to-fill-out form for standard issues as well as the opportunity to make it more specific if necessary.
The Bottom Line
Toggle is able to offer a vast array of coverage that other renters insurance providers simply don’t offer. This allows you the freedom to make your plan customizable to your specific needs in a way that can really give you peace of mind that you may not be able to get with other plans.
Because Toggle is an ‘All Peril’ policy as well, you don’t have to worry about having to debate the need to buy things like fire insurance or earthquake insurance on top of your regular insurance just in case. Whether you’re looking for the most basic coverage you can get for the best price, or something very detailed to meet your unique and specific needs, odds are Toggle can get the job done.
- California customers are required to purchase earthquake insurance separately per state mandate.