Compass Moving & Storage Review
Founded in 2005, Compass Moving & Storage is based out of Massachusetts and services the entire United States. It was founded by John Hardy, a veteran of the Gulf War, who’s worked in the moving industry since 1995. Compass offers long-distance, local, in-house, and office-related moving services. You can also expect to find services relating to expert piano moving, packing, storage, and moving supplies. You can receive estimates online or in-person, depending on your preference.
To learn more about Compass and the services it offers, continue reading below.
Pros and Cons of Compass
- Offers services covering all stages of the moving process, from packing to moving.
- Customers and staff are on a first-name basis.
- Brings nearly two decades of experience to the world of moving companies.
- Founded by a Gulf War veteran and run by experienced and professional trained staff
- Email estimate could be smoother
- Doesn’t offer international moves
What Does Compass Offer?
Regardless of how comprehensive your moving needs are, Compass can likely fulfill them. With local and long-distance relocation services available, as well as packing and storage, Compass is a one-stop-shop for moving.
For a full breakdown of all their services, see below:
- Long Distance Services: Moves originating in one city with a delivery destination in another city.
- Local Moving Services: Moves that take place within 100 miles from origin to destination within the same state.
- Expert Piano Moving: If you have a piano, keep in mind that pianos are very tricky to move. So, expert help is a great idea. The relocation of a piano using expert handling, a series of blankets, as well as a piano dolly and a piano board to safely transport it to wherever it needs to go.
- In-House Moving: Moves from one place in your home to another. They’ll also arrange your furniture following your exact directions.
- Office Moves: Moves requiring the relocation of an office with as little downtime as possible. This involves a visit from a moving specialist who will take a complete inventory of the items that need to be moved, what needs to be packed, and who will check building and elevator access, size, and availability.
- Packing Services: All packing services and/or packing supplies required to pack your items carefully and securely.
- Storage Services: Both long and short-term storage for your belongings All storage items are contained in a temperature-controlled warehouse.
- Supplies: For those who plan to do their own packing, you can purchase the necessary packing materials from Compass. They can even provide free used cardboard boxes when available.
What to Expect on the Site
Unlike most moving companies, Compass actually provides the name of the person you’ll be dealing with when you go to receive your estimate.
You don’t have to worry about dealing with someone inexperienced when trying to book your move; instead, as the reviews indicate, you can rely on Compass to provide an accurate and reliable estimate based on nearly two decades of experience (and cost-effective tips, as the site indicates.) You can take comfort in the fact that all of Compass’s other staff are professionally trained as well; specifically their movers and drivers.
When it comes to actually getting your estimate, you can do so either via email or over the phone, depending on your preference.
Compass doesn’t list specific prices on its website. To understand the full cost of your move, you’ll need to get an estimate. This estimate accounts for such things as the type of service you need (long-distance, local, office, in-home, etc.) and the size of your move.
It’s also worth noting that certain types of moves use different pricing structures. For example, the cost of long-distance moves depends on the final weight of the goods that are shipped and the distance between origin and destination. Local moves, however, charge at an hourly rate based on the number of crew members and equipment necessary to professionally complete the relocation in the most cost-effective manner.
Regardless of which service you choose, thanks to your estimate, you’ll have a very close, if not spot-on, idea of your final cost before you have to even commit to a purchase. For this reason, you can easily decide if professional movers are affordable enough.
What People Are Saying About Compass
Compass has a positive reputation. As an illustration, it holds a 4.8/5 average customer rating on Google. Reviews are even more positive on Yelp with a 5/5 average rating.
The Bottom Line
In the 16 years since its founding, Compass has grown to offer just about every possible moving service you could possibly need. From long-distance residential moves to commercial office moves, Compass takes the stress out of moving. Even niche services like expert piano moving and storage are available.
Getting an estimate is also a breeze thanks to the company’s experienced and trained staff. While on-site visits (following all pandemic safety protocols) will certainly provide you with a more accurate, the company is just as able to provide you with an accurate estimate via email or over the phone.
In the end, as you compare top moving companies, Compass deserves a spot in your top contenders.