Currencies Direct Review
Currencies Direct offers a competitively priced international money transfer service with a twist: the company maintains a network of branch offices, enabling local customers to take advantage of traditional face-to-face service. So, the company combines highly flexible service with advantageous exchange rates with zero transfer fees.
Founded in 1996, the company’s website notes that it was the first money transfer business to serve the European market. Currencies Direct formally expanded into mainland Europe in 1999 and established physical operations in the United States in 2007.
Today, the company maintains 22 branch locations in seven countries, including the United States. As a result of this growth, Currencies Direct managed more than 550,000 financial transactions and handled the equivalent of about $9.5 billion in currency exchanges in 2020.
Indeed, Currencies Direct has a lot to like. Let’s examine its international money transfer services, and dig into the pros and cons of using Currencies Direct.
Pros and Cons of Currencies Direct
- No hidden fees or commissions
- The vast majority of personal transfers are free of charge
- Online, in-person, and telephone-based transfers
- Can only pay with debit cards or internet banking
- Currently, no option for recipients to arrange cash pickups
What Does Currencies Direct Offer?
Currencies Direct supports about 60 international currencies, including all major currencies. So, you can send money all over the world. You can access Currencies Direct’s online international money transfer service through your desktop computer or with the company’s app on your smartphone. Both options offer the same set of six core functions:
- Instant access to competitive foreign exchange rates
- The option to buy currency at today’s prices to send at a later date
- Links to up-to-the-minute market rates
- Rate alerts that let you know about market action for your chosen currency pair and notify you when
- rates reach specified thresholds
- Transfer status tracking features
- The ability to add recipients for future transfers and manage your list
Once your free account is active, you can send a new transfer in minutes with just a few clicks or taps. Many transfers can be completed within one or two business days, but transcontinental requests may take longer.
Additionally, Currencies Direct also offers an expanded set of features for businesses. The company’s enterprise transfer services support both incoming and outgoing payments, as well as risk management tools and features for managing ongoing payments to many major online retailers.
What To Expect on the Site
Currencies Direct makes it fast and easy to arrange an online international money transfer. Users can initiate a new transfer 24 hours a day, seven days a week in just a few minutes.
- Sign up for free by creating a new Currencies Direct account.
- Specify the amount of money you want to transfer. You can set up your transfer in its original currency or make adjustments to ensure the recipient gets the intended amount in the destination currency.
- Pay for your transfer. Customers have the option of paying with their debit cards or completing the request through their online banking.
- Currencies Direct will process your request and deliver the funds to your recipient. Some transfers can be completed on the same day, but in most cases, they take 24 to 48 hours depending on the destination.
If you live near one of the company’s 22 physical branch locations, you can also arrange your transfer in person. Telephone-based service is another convenient option available to customers around the world.
Currencies Direct doesn’t have transfer fees for the vast majority of its transactions, and fees almost never apply to person-to-person requests. Most of the transfers that are subject to additional fees occur at the enterprise level, and even in these cases, Currencies Direct remains fully transparent and quotes the full amount of the fee upfront, before you confirm and commit to your transaction.
According to its website FAQ section, Currencies Direct completes 90% of all transfer requests free of charge. The company makes money by leveraging small margins in foreign exchange rates. Currencies Direct purchases funds at wholesale rates, enabling them to save money by buying money in bulk quantities. It then passes those savings on to you.
What People Are Saying About Currencies Direct
Currencies Direct is a reputable, trustworthy, and accredited provider of online financial services. The company has strong endorsements from UK regulators and Dun & Bradstreet, which ranks among the most trustworthy business analytics firms in the world.
The company also benefits from an impressive Trustpilot profile. As of July 2021, Currencies Direct has an excellent Trustpilot score. Nearly 6,000 customers have shared reviews and based on that feedback, the company has a score of 4.8 out of 5 stars:
- 88% of customer reviews give it 5 out of 5 stars
- 95% of customer reviews give it at least 4 out of 5 stars
The Bottom Line
Currencies Direct is a good option in an increasingly competitive online money transfer market. Their foreign exchange rates are competitive, and the company’s no-fee service applies to almost all personal transactions.
If you’re looking into top money transfer services, then Currencies Direct is worth checking out.