Sunbasket Review: Meal Delivery Service
Sunbasket is a meal delivery service that prioritizes sustainability while still providing a tasty and affordable menu. With this goal in mind, Sunbasket’s organic menu is developed by award-winning chef Justine Kelly, and all of its packaging is eco-friendly. In this Sunbasket review, we’ll break down everything you need to know about the company in easily digestible sections.
Before we delve into the details, let’s take a look at a couple more things that encompass Sunbasket’s core values. For instance, a healthy menu is so important to Sunbasket that at least one recipe per week is certified by the American Heart Association’s Heart-Check Recipe Certification Program. This distinction ensures the meal meets guidelines for a heart-healthy diet.
Not only that, but Sunbasket also believes in giving back. To do so, the company donates an average of 1,000 pounds of food per week to Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo counties, the New Jersey Agricultural Society Farmers Against Hunger, and Hope Food Pantry of Monroe County.
Pros and Cons of Sunbasket
- Committed to healthy eating and sustainability
- Menu designed by award-winning chef
- USDA-certified organic, farm-fresh ingredients
- Choose no-prep meals or do some cooking
- Many options, including vegan and diabetes-friendly
- Flexibility to skip or cancel at any time
- Not available in every state
- While all packaging is recyclable, some of it still uses plastic
What Does Sunbasket Offer?
Sunbasket offers meals that combine a dual commitment to healthy eating and sustainability. To do so, its meals mix nutrient-dense produce, whole grains, high–quality protein, and good fats, with minimal added sugar and processed foods. Additionally, All recipes are approved by Sunbasket’s in–house dietitian to comply with the latest USDA dietary guidelines.
Additionally, it offers the choice between pre-made, ready-to-heat meals and meal kits that involve some cooking. Beyond that flexibility, Sunbasket also offers a menu that’s suitable for a variety of dietary preferences. For instance, meals fall into a variety of categories, including:
- Chef’s Choice: Hand-picked recipes, highlighting peak seasonal organic produce, top-quality meats and seafood, and unique house-made sauces.
- Lean & Clean: Around 550 calories per serving, loads of flavor. Manage your weight and feel great with delicious meals high in protein and fiber, with no gluten, dairy or added sugars.
- Quick & Easy: Low-fuss recipes without compromising on taste or quality.
- Diabetes-Friendly: Healthy, delicious meals designed to help manage diabetes.
- Gluten-Free: Fresh vegetables, top-quality meats and seafood, plus their chef’s favorite gluten-free alternatives (due to risk of cross-contamination, Sunbasket claims that their meals are not suitable for people with severe gluten intolerance).
- Vegetarian: Balanced dinners full of organic veggies. Vibrant, creative recipes starring fresh, organic produce, responsibly sourced dairy, and organic eggs.
As noted previously in this Sunbasket review, the company’s also all about eco-friendly practices. In fact, offering a sustainable approach is one of the key ways that Sunbasket distinguishes itself from competitors. So, Sunbasket uses:
- Recyclable and compostable packaging
- Farmers who practice sustainable crop rotation and water efficiency
- Fishermen who use low-impact fishing methods
- Ranches that treat animals with respect
While writing this Sunbasket review, we found that all in all, Sunbasket offers clean, chef-designed, sustainable meals.
What To Expect on the Site
Sunbasket’s website is very easy to use and makes the setup process straightforward:
- Choose your meal plan: Easy-to-make meal kits or pre-made meals that feel special
- Select how many meals you want weekly: From 4 to 8 meals per week
- Tell Sunbasket who you are: Enter your email address and ZIP code
- Pick your meals from the weekly menu: Sunbasket displays meal details and images
- Enter payment information: Let Sunbasket know your shipping and payment info
That’s it! You can also change your recipes, skip any week, and/or cancel at any time.
The price you’ll pay for Sunbasket depends on several factors. For example, it depends on how many meals you want per week and whether you choose pre-made meals or meal kits. As an illustration, each meal would cost $8.99 if you wanted eight pre-made meals each week. In addition, there’s a shipping fee of $7.99 per delivery. Complete the setup process in order to get specific pricing information.
The Bottom Line
While there are a lot of meal delivery services on the market, Sunbasket packs a unique punch: healthy meals and sustainable practices. Not only that, but Sunbasket also delivers food that’s likely fresher, easier, and faster to prepare than what you’d put together from your grocery store.
So, if its approach appeals to you, then Sunbasket should be on your radar as you compare top meal delivery services.