Founded in 2011, Saatva is one of the leading online mattress retailers in the United States. Not only do they sell and home-deliver their eco-friendly, individually handcrafted mattresses, but they are also one of the only mattress companies to manufacture their mattress in the United States.
Beyond earning a customer base in the hundreds of thousands, Saatva’s premium mattresses have garnered very high customer review ratings, with a Google user rating of 4.8/5.
What kinds of mattresses does Saatva offer?
Saatva’s pride and joy is their Classic hybrid innerspring mattress. The best way to describe this mattress is to describe the five layers inside of it (as described by Saatva):
- Luxury Euro Pillow Top: Packs in more cushioning materials than a standard pillow top and is tucked underneath their organic cotton cover for a clean look. It also includes Saatva’s exclusive Guardin® botanical antimicrobial fabric treatment to their organic cover and is finished with an organic damask bronze trim.
- Perimeter Edge Support: This is a foam encasement that deters sag and provides extra durability as well as more sleep surface—a feature found only in higher-end mattresses on the market.
- Individually Wrapped Coils: Built atop the support base, the layer of 884 individually wrapped, 14.5-gauge comfort coils is designed to respond and contour to your body, while also minimizing motion transfer. This dual-coil system gives the Saatva Classic its responsive feel while promoting healthy airflow throughout the mattress.
- Spinal Zone Technology: Two back support enhancements provide maximum pressure relief where you need it most. Their active wire Lumbar Zone technology adds additional support in the middle area of the mattress, while a high-quality memory foam layer offers additional pressure relief to reduce stress and tension in your lower back.
- Durable Steel Coil Support: The Saatva Classic is built with 416 tempered steel, 13-gauge support coils in the lower base unit. Their coil units are tempered three times and oven-baked for maximum strength. This creates the foundation for a long-lasting mattress that won't sag over time. Their coil units also ensure superior breathability.
Saatva’s Classic mattress is also available in all standard mattress sizes, from Twin to Cal King.
What firmness options are available with Saatva?
Saatva also offers three firmness options: Plush Soft, Luxury Firm and Firm. Their website helpfully provides a thorough explanation of the type of people who would best benefit from each.
The Luxury Firm Mattress is preferred by 82% of Saatva’s customers and is compatible with a range of sleep positions. Saatva also offers a 120-day in-home trial, so you have plenty of time to figure out the right level of firmness for you.
Does Saatva offer specific kinds of support?
Regardless of the firmness option you choose, Saatva’s mattresses are designed to alleviate common back and joint pain caused by other, lower-quality mattresses. Specifically, Saatva’s mattresses are designed to result in:
- Reduced back & joint pain: Their plush Euro pillow top delivers contouring and cushioning support to the back, hips, and shoulders, relieving pressure where it’s needed most.
- Optimal spine support: Their mattresses are designed with Lumbar Zone support technology, an active wire support in the center of the mattress, for optimal spinal alignment.
- Chiropractor approved: The Congress of Chiropractic State Associations has awarded Saatva its seal of approval, and Saatva is recommended by leading US chiropractors.
And this isn’t just a marketing gimmick; to prove their commitment to these claims, Saatva has actually been awarded a seal of approval from the Congress of Chiropractic State Associations.
What frames and foundations work with Saatva mattresses?
This commitment to optimal body support also shows in their foundations and frames. While Saatva is compatible with most foundations, box springs, platform beds and adjustable bases, Saatva offers a selection of foundations, frames and bases specifically designed to work with their mattresses.
For example, their Lineal Adjustable Base offers weightless, zero-gravity support, wave massage, and under-bed illumination that can be controlled by a wireless remote.
Are Saatva mattresses sustainable?
From their mattresses to their bases, Saatva’s use of sustainable, breathable, and safe materials has led to a Sustainable Product of the Year award from Business Intel and becoming the lead sponsor of The Sustainable Furnishings Council.
Take their mattresses, for example, which are made of organic cotton treated with botanical antimicrobial protection, flame-retardant natural thistle and supportive coils made from recycled steel. Foam used in their pillow tops is also certified by CertiPUR-US to contain no toxic chemicals, no formaldehyde, low VOCs, and no ozone depleters.
How much do Saatva mattresses cost?
You can expect to pay anywhere from $799 to $1,899 for a Saatva mattress, depending on what size you need. Although if you need to also purchase a frame, foundation, or base, you can expect to pay more.
Here is a specific breakdown of the pricing for individual mattress sizes:
- Twin: $799
- Twin XL: $949
- Full: $1,199
- Queen: $1,299
- King: $1,699
- Cal King: $1,699
Saatva conveniently allows you to pay over time, instead of all up front with a service called Klarna. While you have to qualify to be able to use Klarna, with it you can get 0.00% APR for 6 months if paid in full within those six months.
Beyond multiple payment options, Saatva further sweetens the deal with free in-home delivery, free mattress and foundation removal, a 120-day risk-free trial, wherein you can get a full refund for your mattress if you’re not happy within 120 days of buying it.
If you’re longing for luxury, hotel-level comfort and sleep quality but don’t have the money to match those desires, then Saatva is perfect for you. They offer high quality, sustainable mattresses at a cheaper price point than their competitors ($1,000 cheaper, they claim), varying levels of firmness and support for different needs, awards and recognition relating to everything from comfort to eco-friendliness and plenty of payment flexibility.
The best part is that they offer a 120-day in-home trial to allow you to test out your mattress before purchasing it, making Saatva not just one of the most affordable mattresses companies around, but also one of the most accessible.