Bestow is an innovative life insurance company that uses a unique data-driven model to reduce paperwork and remove doctor visits from the equation. It allows applicants to secure short-term or long-term life insurance from almost anywhere within minutes, delivering affordable plans and pricing backed by the industry’s most trusted underwriters.
The Bestow story began in 2015, when two entrepreneurs, both husbands and fathers, began discussing the shortcomings of standard approaches to life insurance. They conceived a vision to create an alternative—one that doesn’t leave people underserved or stuck with overpriced, inadequate coverage. The two partners, Jonathan Abelmann and Melbourne O’Banion, launched Bestow the following year.
Bestow was successful from its very beginnings and is now a leading online life insurance provider. Its team of investors and partners includes respected firms like 8VC, Core Innovation Capital, Morpheus, Munich RE, NEA, and Valar. It’s now available in 48 of the nation’s 50 states.
Let’s dig into the details and take a closer look at the pros and cons of Bestow.
Pros and Cons of Bestow
- Quick and easy application process
- Excellent customer service
- No medical examinations, tests, or needles required
- Advice from licensed insurance agents who aren’t motivated by commissions
- Some age restrictions
- Currently unavailable in Alaska or New York
What Does Bestow Offer?
Bestow specializes in term life insurance. Accordingly, it offers 10-year, 15-year, 20-year, 25-year, and 30-year plans that give customers peace of mind. The coverage amounts range from $50,000 to $1.5 million, with premiums starting at just $8 per month. Bestow doesn’t offer whole life insurance. So, the company’s 30-year plan is the longest term it currently has available. However, Bestow has a full range of affordable term life insurance.
Some of the key differentiating features of Bestow’s product model include:
- Commission-free customer service assistance
- A robust advisor network that includes licensed insurance agents
- A secure, encrypted application process that safeguards your sensitive and personal information
- The ability to cancel coverage at any time with no penalty
Customers also benefit from:
- An accelerated underwriting process that uses computer algorithms instead of lengthy, biased processes guided by self-interested insurance professionals
- The ability to change your policy at any time by increasing or decreasing your coverage limits or extending or reducing your coverage period
- An easy, automated payment platform that automatically charges your credit card, Apple Pay, or Google Pay account each month unless you cancel your policy or change your payment preference
As with the vast majority of insurance companies, Bestow does come with some applicant limitations. The company did not create these policies to exclude certain consumer segments but rather to make sure it can preserve its signature fast, efficient, hassle-free insurance shopping experience.
Some of the conditions and limitations on Bestow policies include:
- Age limitations: In order to qualify for life insurance through Bestow, applicants must be aged 18 to 59 years old.
- Health conditions: Like all life insurers, Bestow queries applicants about their medical history. In its standard application process, Bestow only asks about things like heart disease, HIV/AIDS status, cancer, and other major health problems. You can still qualify for coverage through Bestow if you have a significant medical challenge, but your maximum coverage limit may be lower, and your premiums may be higher.
- Lack of supplementary coverage options: Unlike many conventional insurers, Bestow doesn’t offer supplementary options like accelerated or accidental death benefits, disability coverage, premium waivers, or special protections for spouses and children. It excels at providing individual consumers with straightforward, affordable coverage, but the company’s business model does not extend beyond that.
What To Expect on the Site
One of Bestow’s best features is its streamlined, simplified application process. Customers can apply for and secure their coverage entirely online. The application is short and to the point. It uses data to eliminate the need for doctor visits, medical examinations, and invasive tests. You’ll be asked a series of questions, including basic:
- Personal information (gender, birthdate, height, weight)
- Contact information (name, email, phone number)
- Health and lifestyle information (weight loss, tobacco use, etc.)
Bestow offers affordable life insurance with pricing that’s based on your specific situation. So, the cost will vary depending on your age, gender, height, weight, health, and lifestyle, plus the term and coverage amount you select.
In order to qualify for the company’s lowest rates, consumers may need to provide evidence of their excellent health and avoidance of lifestyle-related risks. For example, you may be asked to prove that you have not used tobacco in at least five years, do not have any impaired driving offenses on your record, and do not engage in dangerous hobbies like race car driving, deep-sea diving, recreational piloting, or extreme sports.
Members of higher-risk professions may also be asked to pay slightly higher premiums, given the risk of job-related injury or death. Examples include firefighters, roofing contractors or laborers, logging professionals, and electrical power line maintenance and installation professionals.
What People Are Saying About Bestow
Bestow has an excellent Trustpilot score. As of September 2021, Bestow has 4.7 out of 5 stars based on reviews from more than 700 customers:
- 90% of customer reviews give Bestow 5 out of 5 stars
- 95% of customer reviews give Bestow at least 4 out of 5 stars
Additionally, Bestow is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has an A+ rating.
The Bottom Line
If you’re a healthy person living a low-risk lifestyle and you’re on the younger side, then Bestow could be a great option. This is especially true if you’re looking for a quick, easy, reliable life insurance solution that doesn’t involve a complicated application process. However, if you’re older, have a complicated medical history, or need to dress up your policy with supplementary options, you may find a greater selection of options through another provider. Given these points, Bestow is well worth considering as you compare top life insurance companies.