Straightening teeth is no longer the ordeal that it once was. Today, metal braces aren’t the only option. Those annoying rites of passage have largely been replaced by invisible braces. Just like traditional braces, this new approach straightens and aligns teeth. But invisible braces are clear, non-metal, and hardly noticeable. So, they’re a discreet option for adults.
While there are many different invisible braces companies, NewSmile is one of the more interesting ones. Based in Canada, NewSmile has had quite a bit of success north of the border. However, it doesn’t matter where people live since NewSmile is completely remote. Because there are no clinics involved, the company saves on overhead costs. NewSmile says that they pass along those savings to customers in the form of lower prices.
Let’s take a closer look at NewSmile to help determine if it could be a good option for you.
Pros and Cons of NewSmile
- Lower costs than traditional braces
- Offers payment plans for more flexibility
- Treatment is overseen by orthodontists
- No in-person treatments or consultations available
- Retainers needed after initial treatment is completed
What Does NewSmile Offer?
NewSmile specializes in clear aligners, which are a more discreet way to straighten teeth. Clear aligners are plastic trays that people wear most of the day and while they sleep. Unlike metal braces, clear aligners aren’t attached to your teeth. So, you can take them out to eat, drink and brush your teeth. For this reason, you don’t need to avoid certain food if you get clear aligners instead of metal braces.
While certain aligners require regular trips to an orthodontist, NewSmile doesn’t require any in-person visits. NewSmile’s “do it yourself” approach to orthodontics is part of a broader industry trend that’s proving popular for its affordability and convenience. However, clear aligners still require a commitment. NewSmile’s aligners need to be worn 22 hours a day, and treatment usually takes six months.
Additionally, for those who don’t want to wear aligners during the day, NewSmile offers “night aligners.” Since these aligners only need to be worn at nighttime, keep in mind that the process takes longer than six months to complete.
How Does the NewSmile System Work?
NewSmile has a straightforward six-step process:
- Smile Assessment: Take an online smile assessment to see if you’re a good candidate for NewSmile’s clear aligners. Generally, clear aligners are best for correcting mild to moderate issues.
- Impression Kit: If you’re a good candidate, then the next step is to order an impression kit. In order to make this a no-risk process, NewSmile gives full refunds if it turns out you aren’t eligible for their clear aligners.
- Make an Impression: Once the impression kit arrives in the mail, make molds of your teeth. The kit includes detailed instructions, but you can request (at no additional cost) a one-on-one video call with a NewSmile representative if you don’t feel comfortable completing this step on your own. After your impressions are made, mail them back to NewSmile.
- Treatment Preview: NewSmile then creates a three-dimensional “Treatment Preview” that shows how your smile will change week by week over a six-month period. Of course, the treatment plan can be adjusted before it’s finalized.
- Straighten Teeth: After the treatment plan is finalized, NewSmile mails a new set of clear aligners every two weeks.
What’s the NewSmile Treatment Process Like?
Throughout your treatment process, NewSmile sends a new aligner about every two weeks. So that you see results quickly, NewSmile recommends wearing your aligners as much as possible. For example, regular aligners should be worn 22 hours per day. If you choose night aligners, then you should wear those for 10+ hours per day.
Rest assured that an orthodontist supervises your NewSmile treatment. So even though you won’t need recurring orthodontist appointments, an expert creates your treatment plan. Additionally, someone is always available by phone to address questions and concerns. If you prefer, one-on-one video chats with NewSmile representatives are also available.
Once your six-month treatment process is complete, you’ll want to wear the retainer that NewSmile sends. This measure ensures that your teeth won’t shift. As an added benefit, NewSmile also includes free teeth whitening treatments.
NewSmile offers multiple payment options. If you would like to pay upfront, it costs $1,195 for the standard aligners and $1,295 for the night aligners. This price includes the impression kit, aligners, retainer, and teeth whitening treatments.
Alternatively, you can choose a payment plan. For standard aligners, the montly payment is $84. If you opt for the night aligners, the monthly payment is $92. In addition to the monthly payment, there’s a one-time $295 deposit.
The Bottom Line
Promising clear aligners for 75% of the cost of traditional braces, NewSmile has a compelling business model. For cost-conscious people who don’t mind taking matters into their own hands from home, NewSmile’s DIY approach to straightening teeth will no doubt be appealing. However, it may not be ideal for those who prefer in-person treatments.
As you compare top invisible braces companies, NewSmile is worth checking out.