First American Home Warranty Review
First American has been a leading name in the home warranty business since 1984. The protections provided by First American Home Warranty have the potential to save customers hundreds or even thousands of dollars per year in repair and maintenance expenses.
In this guide, we’ll look at what First American Home Warranty offers, how its plans work, and how much money the typical customer saves by using the service. Read on to learn more about First American Home Warranty.
Pros and Cons of First American Home Warranty
- Affordable pricing extends to multiple service tiers
- Wide range of useful online tools and informational resources
- “If we can’t fix it, we’ll replace it” guarantee
- Long, established track record of dependability
- Service fees apply to all technician visits
- Not available in every state
What Does First American Home Warranty Offer?
First American Home Warranty offers multiple levels of protection, ranging from basic to comprehensive. Plans come with fixed monthly costs, along with terms, conditions, and coverage limits that define what is and is not covered, and to what degree.
First American Home Warranty offers two main service plans: Basic and Premier. Each coverage plan’s exact details vary depending on your location, but here’s an overview of what you can expect from each.
The Basic plan covers most major appliances and some home systems, including:
- Attic, ceiling, and exhaust fans
- Clothing washer and dryer
- Garbage disposal and garbage compactor units
- Built-in microwave oven
- Oven and cooktops
- Instant hot water dispenser
The Premier plan provides all the same protections as the Basic plan, but adds:
- Central vacuuming system
- Electrical system
- Automatic garage door opener
- Heating system
- Plumbing system
- Water heater
In addition, the Premier plan covers you if you experience a plumbing backup or stoppage that requires professional remediation. Keep in mind that coverage exclusions and limits apply to both Basic and Premier plans. Be sure to read and understand the fine print to ensure that your expectations align with the contract’s stated terms and conditions.
First American Home Warranty charges varying rates, depending on the type of property you’re looking to cover and where you live. It generates custom quotes for each customer, and you can obtain a no-obligation quote within minutes on the company’s website.
If you’re looking for a ballpark estimate, First American Home Warranty states that its plans start at just $28 per month, which works out to less than $1 per day. Customers can access telephone-based service and claims support 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. First American Home Warranty also offers:
- Flexible monthly payment plans and budget-friendly options
- Access to a vetted, trustworthy network of service technicians
- An “if we can’t fix it, we’ll replace it” guarantee for covered systems, within limits
- Parts are guaranteed for 90 days
- Labor is guaranteed for 30 days
First American Home Warranty also offers a few customization options, but they are a little on the limited side. These items include:
- Swimming pool or spa
- Central air conditioner
- Additional refrigerators/freezers
- Well pump
Cost estimates for these optional add-ons ranged from an extra $4 per month to an extra $15 per month.
How Much Could a First American Home Warranty Save You?
First American Home Warranty publishes a detailed, up-to-date cost analysis on its website. The most recent version covers the 2019 calendar year, and it found:
- 63% of First American customers filed at least one claim
- Total customer cost savings exceeded $177 million
- The average customer saved about $450-$500
The company also lists average repair and replacement costs associated with the appliances and systems its plans cover. Here are some typical cost ranges from 2019:
- Air conditioner: $924 to $3,270
- Plumbing systems: $473 to $1,130
- Heating systems: $794 to $2,990
- Electrical systems: $418 to $1,650
- Oven or stove: $1,246 to $3,413
- Water heater: $902 to $1,650
Thus, if you file even a single claim over the course of your annual contract, you’re likely to save more than you paid for your coverage.
However, there is one caveat to keep in mind: First American charges an $85 service fee whenever it dispatches a technician to your home. This is on the lower end of the industry average, but it can still add up. Thus, customers are incentivized to request service only in the event of a major breakdown.
What Others Are Saying About First American
As of the writing of this review, First American Home Warranty has generated more than 6,300 user reviews on Trustpilot. This large sample size has yielded an average score of 3.9, with 62% of customers giving the company an excellent rating and 75% giving First American at least 4 out of 5.
The Bottom Line
First American Home Warranty occupies a leadership position in the industry, with a track record extending back nearly four decades. If you’re looking for an affordable home warranty from a well-established company you can trust, First American is certainly worth your attention.