Founded in 2007, Frontpoint is a company that provides smart home security systems to customers across the entire United States. Frontpoint’s physical sensors and monitoring services together help protect against damage and intruders inside your home and quickly contact relevant authorities in the case of an alert.
Customers use Frontpoint to detect over three billion “security events” a year. Additionally, Frontpoint is a BBB-accredited business with an A+ rating and has a 4.6/5 Trustscore on Trustpilot from 8,716 customer reviews
Frontpoint’s security system consists of two parts: physical equipment and monitoring services. Customers first purchase the necessary sensors and accessories they need for their specific home, place them in relevant areas (doors, windows, etc.) and then wirelessly connect them with Frontpoint’s monitoring services. This connected system can then be largely controlled by one central hub with a touchscreen keypad.
Alternatively, you can control many aspects of your Frontpoint security system from your phone thanks to their mobile app.
Frontpoint offers many different kinds of sensors belonging to the following categories:
- Frontpoint Systems
- Home Automation
The different individual sensors belonging to each of these categories are described below.
- Frontpoint Hub & Frontpoint Keypad: The Frontpoint Hub and Keypad is the central command center of your home security system. Their Frontpoint Hub is the brains of your system, while the Frontpoint Keypad allows you to secure your home on your way out the door.
- Extra Keypad: Completely wireless, it installs in seconds and lets you control your system from multiple locations. Place one upstairs, by the back door or anywhere within 100 feet of your Frontpoint Hub.
- Frontpoint Touchscreen: Allows you to arm and disarm your system with ease. It also allows you to conveniently control your lights, locks and sensors when you pair it with your Frontpoint Hub.
- Door/Window Sensor: These very small sensors easily attach to most doors, windows cabinets-even drawers. They’ll alert you when triggered or if something is accidentally left open.
- Motion Sensor: Featuring one of the industry’s widest ranges of detection, these sensors make sure nothing moves without you knowing. And since they’re pet-friendly, they can tell the difference between an intruder and a pet.
- Glass Break Sensor: Pattern-recognition technology “hears” breaking glass and automatically alerts our monitoring team. Works with windows of all sizes.
- Garage Door Tilt Sensor: When placed on the top-inside panel of your garage door, this smart sensor can detect if the garage door is left open longer than usual and sends a real-time notification so you can take action. Compatible with all versions of garage doors.
- Smoke and Heat Sensor: Their sensors detect unusually high temperatures and small amounts of smoke before anything becomes a bigger problem. If something is detected, they’ll contact you right away- then notify local emergency responders if you can’t be reached.
- Carbon Monoxide Sensor: Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a serious threat that you can’t see or smell. When dangerous levels are present, the sensor will trigger an alarm and immediately notify our monitoring stations.
- Flood Sensor: Their corrosion-proof floor sensors are built to detect even the smallest leak, notify you right away and help prevent expensive water damage.
- Doorbell Camera: Frontpoint’s Doorbell Camera allows you to keep an eye on your front door—even when you’re not around.
- Outdoor Camera: Wireless Wi-Fi Outdoor Cameras come pre-configured and ready to go. With industry-leading detection range and infrared vision, you’ll capture crystal-clear video day or night.
- Indoor Camera: Captures crystal-clear video with high-resolution technology. Easily incorporates into any Frontpoint system.
- Premium Indoor Camera: True HD video, Bluetooth speaker and an echo-cancelling microphone. Digital pan and tilt, wide-angle lens for a full 180° view, and enhanced zoom capabilities. Initiate two-way audio calls with other users right through the Frontpoint App.
- Smart Door Lock: You can lock and unlock your home with ease from the backlit keypad and create unique entry codes for friends, family, service providers, and renters. The new Frontpoint Smart Door Lock has Z-Wave Plus built-in so you can easily integrate with your Frontpoint Security System.
- Wireless Light Control: Just plug your lamps, lights and even small appliances into the Wireless Light Control. Then easily control them through your Frontpoint security system and mobile app.
- Light Bulb: These smart LEDs are dimmable and energy saving. Control them remotely with the Frontpoint App. You can even create schedules to automatically turn your lights on or off based on a selected time, day or action.
- Keychain Remote: Works up to 100 feet from the Frontpoint Hub so you can arm and disarm your panel with a single click. The Keychain Remote also works as a panic pendant, alerting emergency responders near your home when the correct button combination is held for three seconds.
- Panic Pendant: Instantly trigger a panic alarm and send customizable alerts based on your security or medical needs. A 100-foot connection range from the Hub means help is always within reach. Recessed-button design helps prevent false alarms.
- Yard Sign: High-quality, 10-inch x 10-inch yard signs help deter burglars. Includes a 30-inch metal stake.
- Window Decals (Set of 3): Let would-be burglars know your home is protected by Frontpoint.
- Door Stickers: Let would-be burglars know your home is protected by Frontpoint.
Beyond sensors and accessories, Frontpoint also offers plenty of monitoring services to connect with their sensors and devices.
Monitoring services available to you depend on which service plan you purchase. The different service plans and all of the services they offer are described below.
Interactive Plan Features
- 24/7 Professional Monitoring: Continuous home monitoring + protection with a dedicated link to emergency responders when you need it.
- 100% Wireless & Cellular: Built-in 4G LTE cellular technology provides the best connection to keep you safe and secure.
- Automated System Check: Hourly checks ensure that your security system is active and online.
- Expandable and Portable: Add new smart home security products at any time. Your Frontpoint system even comes with you if you move — and it’s easy to reinstall.
- Unique User Codes: Give a unique alarm code to family members, house guests, dog walkers (or anyone who needs access).
- Crash and Smash Protection: Emergency responders will still be notified even if your control panel is damaged.
- Geo-location Services: Set an invisible ring around your home. Once you (or your smartphone) enter or exit, you can be reminded to arm your system in case you forgot, in addition to automatically adjusting lights and the thermostat — all based on custom rules you set.
- Mobile Alert and Notifications via Email and Text: Always know what’s happening at home. Get custom notifications when your alarm system, cameras, etc. detect activity.
- Remote Access and Control: Control your security and smart home products from anywhere with the Frontpoint App. Set rules, notifications, custom scenes and more.
- Sensor History: Review a timeline of security sensor history and video footage.
Ultimate Plan Features
- All of the services offered in the Interactive Plan.
- Live Video Streaming: View live footage from your security cameras with the Frontpoint App or online.
- Video and Image History: Access previously recorded video clips and images anytime.
- Motion Triggered Alerts: Receive immediate video clips or image notifications when your camera detects motion.
- Night Vision Enabled: Advanced technology lets you see what’s happening, even in total darkness.
- Light Control: Control your lights with the Frontpoint App. Even set schedules to automatically turn lights on/off.
- Smart Lock Control: Lock/unlock your home through the Frontpoint App. Create unique entry codes for friends, family, service providers, and renters.
To purchase a security system from Frontpoint, you have to first purchase the necessary equipment. You can either choose a pre-packaged equipment plan or build a plan from scratch, picking and choosing individual sensors and accessories as you need them.
You then have to choose one of the two available service plans to pair with your equipment: the Interactive Plan or the Ultimate Plan.
After ultimately purchasing your system, Frontpoint will deliver all of your sensors and accessories to you. In terms of installation, Frontpoint makes sure that everything is 100% pre-programmed and ready to go. You just have to “peel, stick and secure.” Plus, to make sure your sensors continue working properly, Frontpoint will remotely test them once an hour.
Additionally, if within 30 days of receiving your new system you decide you’re not satisfied with your system, you can get a complete refund (and free return shipping).
Frontpoint’s pricing is dependent on an individual’s specific needs, meaning that there is no one price that applies to everyone.
What does apply to everyone, however, is Frontpoint’s pricing structure, which consists of two costs: equipment cost and service cost. These two costs together make up your monthly rate (depending on how you choose to pay your equipment cost, as explained below).
Equipment cost is what you pay for the physical sensors and accessories, whereas service cost is what you pay for the services you connect to your sensors.
Frontpoint offers equipment packages ranging from $369.93 to $599.98. As mentioned above, you can also choose to customize your own package meaning that it’s possible that you could pay less or more depending on what equipment you choose (prices range from $3.99 to $199 per piece of equipment).
If you choose to pay for your equipment all at once, your equipment cost is a one-time payment. Alternatively, through Affirm, customers can also opt to pay for their equipment in monthly installments instead of all at once, significantly lowering their upfront costs.
As far as service costs go, Frontpoint’s Interactive Plan costs ~$44.40/month ($1.48/day) and their Ultimate Plan costs ~$50/month ($1.64/day).
Frontpoint is one of the best ways to easily and professionally secure your home at an affordable price. They provide a checkout process that makes it simple for customers to choose and customize security systems that fit their individual needs, they offer plenty of flexibility in terms of payment and they offer a huge selection of different sensors and monitoring services to protect all aspects of your home.
As the cherry on top, if you’re unsure whether or not Frontpoint can provide a security system for your home at a rate that works for you, you can check them out and put together a cart for free.