ADT Home Security Review
As one of the most recognizable names in the home security industry, ADT provides preset and customizable home security systems offering protection against burglary, fire, flooding, carbon monoxide, and more.
Their systems come with 24/7 professional monitoring, professional installation, a theft protection guarantee, generous customizability, and easy integration with most home automation technologies.
ADT brings over 145 years of experience to the industry, helps secure over 6 million customers’ homes, and currently holds accreditation and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Pros and Cons
- Has been in operation for over 145 years
- Different home security systems available, each offering varying levels of coverage
- Ability to customize your own system
- 6-month, money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee
- Professional installation
- Need to speak with an agent to find out the cost of your system
- Not all home automation technologies are currently supported
Different security systems come with different equipment and monitoring services, but all systems come with the following:
- Digital panel: Gives you fingertip control to arm or disarm your security system and control dozens of smart home devices you can add on.
- Entryway contacts: Triggers a high-decibel siren and alerts you and ADT of any intruders.
- Wireless keychain remote: Easily disarm your home security system with the push of a button.
- Motion detector: Motion detectors cover wide areas of your home and can trigger lights and security cameras with certain ADT packages. Detectors can recognize the difference between regular inhabitants (children, pets, etc.) and intruders.
- Yard signs and window decals: Signals that your home is protected and wards off potential intruders as a result.
- 24/7 monitoring: Experienced home security professionals are looking out for you and your family day and night.
If you require these exact features, then you can be happy choosing any ADT system. However, if you need more comprehensive or specialized coverage, then it’s important to understand what each ADT system offers.
ADT offers three different home security systems: Secure, Smart, and Complete. Here’s a breakdown of the differences between each system:
Secure System features:
- Intrusion Detection
- Fire, CO & Flood Monitoring
- Touchscreen Control Panel
- Voice Control Integration
Smart System features:
- Everything in Secure system
- Remote Access Mobile App
- Smart Home Automation
Complete System features:
- Everything in Smart system
- Video Surveillance
- Stored Video Clips
With this in mind, if you’re in need of video surveillance, the Complete system is your only option. Similarly, if you want to integrate your home security system with the smart devices in and around your home (including Amazon Alexa, Kwikset, and Z-Wave), then you’ll want at least the Smart system.
The ability to integrate with smart devices is especially useful in combination with ADT Control, ADT’s mobile app which you can use to monitor and control your system on the go. The app allows you to:
- Arm or disarm your security system from virtually anywhere.
- Receive alerts when your system status changes or a door is unlocked.
- View live video to check in on your home, or when you receive an alert.
- Control your lights remotely so your home always looks occupied.
- Lock or unlock your doors remotely to let in contractors or the dog walker.
- Adjust your smart thermostat to keep everyone comfortable and potentially lower your energy expenses.
Finally, ADT systems can communicate with monitoring centers via both landline and cellular connectivity, meaning you don’t have to have a landline home phone to be able to install and use an ADT security system.
Purchasing an ADT home security system is as easy as buying anything else online. After speaking with an agent, coming up with a system that suits the security needs of your home, and committing to a purchase, everything you need for installation will show up at your doorstep — including professional installers.
Depending on the comprehensiveness of your system and the size of your home, installation can take anywhere from under an hour to several days. Regardless, before leaving, your installers will test your system to make sure it’s working and show you to use it.
ADT explains that its systems start as low as $28.99, but what you pay for your ADT home security system will ultimately depend on the level of coverage you need. For example, you can expect to pay more for a Complete system than a Secure system because a Complete system comes with more protective features — and consequently, a higher level of coverage.
This is why ADT first requires you to get in contact with one of their agents before giving you a concrete price. After talking with you, your agent will recommend the system that best suits your needs.
Plus, while only ADT lists three security systems to choose from, you can also choose to customize your system if you prefer. This is particularly helpful for people who would like to pick and choose specific features from each available system to best suit their specific home and security needs.
Aside from what you pay for your system, the only other cost you’ll have is installation, which varies based on the home security package. Generally, you can expect to pay from $99 to $199 for ADT to professionally install your system in and around your home.
To help you feel more secure in not just your system, but also your purchase, ADT also offers a six-month, money-back guarantee. If within six months of owning your ADT home security system ADT can’t resolve your “system or service concerns,” they’ll refund your installation and monitoring fees. Not only that but through their theft protection guarantee, ADT will also pay up to $500 of your insurance deductible if a burglary occurs while your ADT system is armed.
ADT is closing in on 150 years of helping people to secure their homes. This fact in itself should give you an idea of the level of coverage and service you should expect when dealing with ADT.
By offering multiple home security systems with varying levels of coverage, as well as the ability to customize your own system to better suit your specific needs, ADT sets itself apart in its ability to provide tailor-made home security solutions. This is also reflected in its pricing. Whereas many other companies charge a flat fee for each system offered, ADT requires that you speak with a trained agent first to better be able to provide you with only the coverage you need — and charge you accordingly.
Finally, with the ability to integrate your ADT system with smart devices around your home and control your system from your phone through the ADT Control app, you can take comfort in the fact that you can protect your home — and everyone in it — anywhere, anytime.
To see what kind of home security system ADT has for you, fill out a contact form or give one of their agents a call today.