The Zebra Review
While they may be most known for providing auto insurance quotes, The Zebra also provides home insurance quotes. You can use The Zebra to compare rates from a range of top providers. The company makes comparison shopping easy by showing you multiple quotes side-by-side in one place.
The Zebra was founded in Austin, Texas in 2012 with the goal of making it easy to get quick, affordable insurance. The name comes from their intention of presenting insurance to customers in plain black and white.
Pros and Cons of The Zebra
- Receive several quotes from a range of providers in just minutes
- You’ll never be spammed with annoying phone calls
- Lack of insurance jargon makes the entire process easy to understand
- You may have to click through to a third-party site to see every potential quote
- You’re not able to fully customize your insurance quotes ahead of time
What Does The Zebra Offer?
The Zebra started as an auto insurance company and only recently branched into the home insurance marketplace. They approach home insurance in the same way as their auto insurance segment by eliminating a lot of the unnecessary and intimidating insurance jargon that most of us try to avoid when shopping for insurance.
What to Expect on the Site?
The process of getting insurance quotes through The Zebra website is a straightforward one. Once you put in your ZIP code, you will be asked to answer a handful of questions about the home that you want to insure, including:
- Are you looking to ensure a single-family home, a condo, a rental, or a mobile home?
- What is the address of the home that is being insured?
- When did you buy the home?
- When was the home built?
- Does the home have a slab foundation, a crawl space, a basement, pier and beam/ piling, or other kind of foundation?
- What is the frame of the home made out of?
- How many stories is the home?
- What is the home’s primary heating system?
- What is the roof made out of?
- When was the roof installed or replaced?
- What is your square footage?
- What would it cost to rebuild your home?
- Is your home in a flood zone?
- Is there a fire hydrant within 1000 feet of your home?
- How close do you live to the nearest fire station?
Once you have filled out all of that information, it will provide you with some quotes for home insurance. The Zebra will show you the exact quote right away from many of the providers that are available to you, though some may require you to click through to the provider’s website to get the quote. If you’re interested in saving additional money and need insurance for both your home and your car, this is when you can also bundle those together, depending on the provider.
The Zebra does not charge you a fee to use its service. They get paid by the insurance companies, not you, which is also why they don’t spam you with emails or phone calls after the fact. How much you ultimately pay for insurance will vary depending on the provider you select, the type of home you have, where you live, and other factors.
In terms of customer service, The Zebra has licensed insurance agents on staff to answer any questions and concerns you may have during the process of finding the best quote for you. You can contact them online or you can give them a call. They are available by phone Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. CT, Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT, and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. CT.
What People Are Saying About The Zebra
The Zebra has been around since 2012 and they’ve developed a solid reputation in that time. The Better Business Bureau gives The Zebra an A rating. With more than 1,500 customer ratings on the site ShopperApproved, the company has a rating of 4.7 out of 5. The ease-of-use, quick process, and no-nonsense language are all cited as some of the benefits of The Zebra in the bulk of online reviews.
The Bottom Line
The Zebra claims it can make the process of getting an insurance quote easier, and their website bears that out. It’s a straightforward process that eliminates hassles that you would ordinarily face when trying to compare quotes from multiple insurance providers. As you compare home insurance providers, The Zebra could be a good place to start for those interested in affordable, hassle-free home insurance.
If you want to compare the quotes you find on The Zebra to other major companies, feel free to check out our ranking of the Best Homeowners Insurance Plans of 2021. If you have more questions about purchasing home insurance, please feel free to check out our Home Insurance Buying Guide as well.