Founded in 1937, Progressive is an insurance company providing homeowners insurance, among other types of coverage, to Americans for over 80 years. Selling homeowners policies in 19 states and the District of Columbia, today Progressive boasts the 15th largest market share of all American homeowners insurance providers.
Whether you’re looking to protect your belongings, get support in the event of your home being damaged, or even get coverage for legal fees, Progressive offers a solution. They partner with industry-leading providers and underwriters to match customers with the exact coverage level they need.
Plus, thanks to Progressive’s Home Quote Explorer tool, you can get and compare multiple quotes from different providers in a matter of minutes. All you have to do is provide some basic information about you, your property, and belongings, and the tool will go ahead and automatically provide multiple quotes fitting your situation for you to choose from.
To find out more about everything Progressive has to offer and if they’re right for you, continue reading below!
Progressive offers the following types of homeowners insurance coverage:
- Dwelling Protection: Dwelling coverage pays for damage to your house and anything permanently attached to it, including your garage, roof, chimneys, attached deck, countertops, cabinets, flooring, vanities, etc.
- Other Structures Protection: Other structures coverage includes unattached garages, gazebos, decks, patios, sheds, pergolas, fences, driveways, etc.
- Personal Property Protection: Personal possessions covers just about all of your stuff if it’s damaged or stolen. This can include electronics, furniture, clothes, tools/power equipment, and more. Your items are even covered if they’re not stored in your home (sheds, garages, your car, storage facilities, etc.).
- Loss of use Protection: If your home is damaged from a covered loss (meaning something homeowners insurance pays for) and you can’t stay there, loss of use covers hotel, rent, and food expenses above what you’d normally pay.
- Personal Liability Protection: If someone sues you or a family member you live with (for injuries or damage to their property), personal liability will pay for your lawyer, court fees, and certain damages you have to pay, subject to your policy.
- Medical Payment Protection: Medical payments coverage pays for medical bills if someone else is hurt at your home or on your property.
In terms of additional coverage options, Progressive offers the following:
- Water Back-Up Protection: Covers water damage from backed-up sump pumps and sewer systems.
- Personal Injury Protection: Covers uncommon but expensive lawsuits and situations.
While you can purchase coverage over the phone, the easiest way to buy coverage (property and casualty) from Progressive is online through their Home Quote Explorer tool.
The tool requires you to provide basic information about you and your home, such as your home’s exterior and structure, it’s major systems, features, and fixtures. The nice thing is that, where possible due to public data, the tool will automatically fill in data about your property, which can help significantly speed up the process. To be able to provide you with a more accurate quote, Progressive also asks you to provide your Social Security Number, although you’re not required to provide it.
In addition to you and your property, Progressive requires you to indicate whether or not you are a pet owner. If you are, you have to provide how many pets you have and their species. If you are a dog owner, you also have to let them know if the breed of your dog belongs to one of the 29 breeds that pose a greater risk to insurance companies. You also have to inform them if your dog has a history of biting.
Finally, you’re asked whether you want to purchase your policy online or to speak to an agent, and whether you’d prefer a cheaper insurance option or a more comprehensive one.
With all the required information provided, Progressive’s Home Quote Explorer Tool provides you with their best options for your home. The whole process can be completed in less than 10 minutes.
Premiums change from person to person based on a number of factors, making it impossible to provide a cut-and-paste price for home insurance coverage provided by Progressive.
According to Progressive, factors that can affect how much you pay include:
- Home Features and Characteristics — Your home’s age, structure, wiring, type of roof, garage, etc., can affect your homeowners insurance premium. Older homes can often cost more to insure, and those costs can differ depending on whether your home is brick, frame, stone or has synthetic siding.
- Location — Where your home is located can change your homeowners insurance premium. For instance, your home insurance rate can be affected if your home is in close proximity to a fire station; is exposed to extreme weather, such as hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes; or is in a neighborhood more prone to theft.
- Protective Devices — Burglar alarm systems, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, sprinkler systems and deadbolt locks can lower your homeowners insurance premium.
- Personal Factors — What you do can affect your homeowners insurance premium, too. For instance, smokers may pay more for home insurance than nonsmokers. A good credit history also can lower what you pay for home insurance.
- Claims History — If you have a history of claims on a homeowners insurance policy, you may pay a higher premium.
However, to at least give you an idea of how much you can expect to pay with Progressive, in 2017, the average price for a 12-month ASI Home policy from Progressive ranged from $604 in Utah to $2,006 in Louisiana ($50-$167/month).
Progressive also offers bundle discounts to customers that already hold other Progressive policies, have home security systems, or are retired.
The most popular bundles include auto and home, renters or condo insurance, but you can also choose to mix-and-match any of the company’s other insurance products (over 25).
While how much you save by bundling will be different from person to person, as an example, Progressive claims you can save an average of $808 annually by combining home & auto insurance.
Progressive makes understanding, comparing, and ultimately choosing home insurance coverage policies as easy humanly possible. In addition to convenience and ease-of-use, Progressive’s solid financials and proven track record make them a great choice for anyone looking to purchase home insurance coverage.
Pay them a visit, get a free quote courtesy of their Home Quote Explorer tool, and see why people have trusted Progressive with their homes for the better part of a century.