Kin provides home insurance in regions that are considered risky, such as Florida and California. That means parts of the country where weather is unpredictable and dangerous, and hurricanes and floods are possibilities.
The company states right on the front page of their website that you'll save an average of $500 when you sign up. They pride themselves on being very clear about how they come to the quote that they offer you for your insurance and they take many factors into consideration.
Pros and Cons of Kin
Even though they're relatively new, Kin offers a lot of advantages that other insurers don't bring to the table. Let's take a look at the pros and cons.
- Offers High Risk insurance that is much more expensive elsewhere
- Will offer you a very thorough custom policy
- Great coverage for property as well
- Not available in every state
- Doesn't have the products that some other insurance companies offer, like auto insurance bundles
At a Glance
Kin separates itself from the pack by really delving into the specifics of your home to offer a custom quote. That means more than just giving your address and the age of the house. Things Kin will take into consideration include:
- Property records
- Satellite images of your property
- Past real estate listings
Kin also offers coverage that goes well beyond standard home insurance. That includes coverage for things like:
- Other structures on the property
- Personal property
- Personal liability
- Loss of use
- Medical payments
- Flood and hurricane coverage
It's also worth noting that Kin bases the insurance that they offer not on the actual cash value of your home but on the replacement cost. That means that you will get the full amount to replace any property that you've lost if it gets damaged. When you're insured for just the cash value you need to worry about depreciation which will essentially offer you less than something is worth because it might be older.
What to Expect
As you can see, Kin tries to go out of their way to be different from other insurance companies. Aside from the coverage that you can get when you live in an area prone to dangerous phenomena, there is more that they can offer you. For instance, they have a variety of discounts that you may qualify for. Any of the following can net you some money off of your final costs:
- Home security systems
- Wind mitigation: This means that your home has been evaluated and certified as resilient to windstorms.
- Fire mitigation: This is for California residents and is available if you have bolstered your home against fire damage such as using ember resistant venting and you employ annual brush removal.
- Water detection: This means you've installed water leak detection systems in your home.
- You used an accredited builder for your home
- LEED: This stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Building rating system. This is applicable to Residence in California if you meet certain environmental standards.
- Claims free discount: This applies if you haven't made a claim in at least 7 years
- Electronic policy: Believe it or not you can even save $10 if you enroll online for a paperless policy.
- Home Community discount: This applies if you live in an HOA managed or secure community
- New homeowner discount: If you bought your home within the past year you could qualify for this discount.
- Mature homeowner discount: This applies if you're over the age of 50.
- Full payment discount: If you pay your premium in full rather than instalments you can be charged less as well.
Kin doesn't offer a lot of bells and whistles with their policies, but they do give you a solid standard insurance policy that can cover a lot of emergency situations other insurers avoid. Factoring all the potential discounts, then Kin really does offer some serious insurance advantages.
Costs and Customer Service
When you head to the Kin website you can get a quote based on your address right away. Obviously, insurance is based very much on your individual circumstances so there's no flat fee that's going to be listed on any insurance company's website. That said, Kin will also show you the average home insurance premiums for every single state, so you know where you stand in a general way. Remember, the cost of insurance is based on several factors including:
- Where you live and the associated risk factors
- Your deductible
- Any potential discounts and claims history you have
- Various attributes of your home
- The kind of coverage you carry
All that said, the average insurance cost in Florida is $1,951. However, a Kin customer will pay $1,091 on average.
In terms of customer service, Kin is almost exclusively online. You're able to connect with representatives for support, to get quotes, or to report losses either online or through an 800 number.
What People Are Saying
Kin insurance has a nearly perfect rating on Trustpilot.com. In over 1000 reviews they've managed to secure an impressive 4.8 out of 5. Most customers who left reviews talked about how knowledgeable representatives from Kin are, and how easy they are to work with. They also feature an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau. When it comes to getting home insurance, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better reviewed provider.
The Bottom Line
If you live in Florida or California and have had trouble finding insurance that can cover high risk disasters, Kin is definitely something you want to look into. Even if you're not looking for disaster insurance, Kin has basic home insurance that can save you money and give you exceptional, custom coverage. You'll save money and have benefits as good as or better and what you get with other providers.