HomeInsurance.net is a fast-growing online marketplace that allows homeowners to gather rates and compare costs quickly and easily. The service does not actually provide insurance policies itself. Instead, it empowers homeowners seeking the best possible rates on their coverage by providing instant price quotes. This competitive environment incentivizes providers to offer their lowest prices, which helps homeowners save money without sacrificing the completeness of your insurance coverage.
What’s available on HomeInsurance.net?
First, it is important to note that exact policy details vary from one provider to the next. The information that follows is intended to give you an idea of what types of coverage you can find on HomeInsurance.net. It is not specific to any one provider or policy type available through the site.
With that in mind, here’s a rundown of the typical inclusions you can expect to find in a standard home insurance policy:
- Coverage for dwellings: Home insurance policies universally cover the primary dwelling structure on your property. Coverage typically addresses adverse events including extreme weather, vandalism, fire, theft, and certain types of accidents.
- Coverage extensions for outbuildings and other structures: Most policies extend coverage beyond residential buildings to include structures like garages, sheds, yard features, and other outbuildings.
- Personal property coverage: Many home insurance plans also cover certain types of valuables. The extent of this protection varies considerably among providers, but many insurers offer consumers the option to significantly upgrade this coverage if desired.
- Liability protections: Home insurers will typically cover policyholders for liabilities including legal costs and medical bills if you are sued by someone who gets injured while on your property.
- Loss of use and temporary relocation protections: In some situations, you and your family may need to relocate to temporary accommodations while workers repair damage to your home. Policies typically provide financial support to customers affected by such events.
Insurers use the term “perils” to describe risk events that could lead to an insured individual making a claim under the terms of their policy. Again, exact details vary from one provider to the next, but the following perils are almost always included in home insurance policies:
- Fire and smoke
- High winds
- Damage caused by falling aircraft parts
- Damage caused by vehicles (if, for example, a motorist loses control of his or her vehicle and crashes into your home)
- Damage caused as the result of a burst or frozen water pipe
- Accidental damage resulting from electrical system or wiring faults, or certain types of structural problems with your home
- Civil unrest and rioting
- Criminal acts including vandalism and theft
- Damage to your roof or home structure resulting from heavy buildups of snow, ice, or sleet
Another key insurance term is “riders.” Riders are optional forms of coverage you can add to increase the scope of a standard policy. The exact riders you can get from providers that work with HomeInsurance.net also vary, but most insurance companies offer them for:
- Items with high amounts of financial or sentimental value: standard home insurance policies typically provide limited protection for personal property, but you can expand it to include itemized lists of specific things you want to safeguard
- The loss or theft of valuables that occurs anywhere off your property, including foreign countries
- Additional types of accidental damage caused by a household member or visitor that would not otherwise be covered under standard policy terms
- Natural disasters, such as earthquakes, floods, and volcanic eruptions
If you’re interested in adding riders to your policy, contact the end provider you decide to go with after using HomeInsurance.net to obtain a quote.
How it works
HomeInsurance.net follows an easy three-step process:
- Visit the site and answer the questions posed on the homepage.
- Obtain competitive price quotes from various providers.
- Contact the provider that best suits your needs after receiving your quote to learn more about the policy or to purchase coverage.
Everyone can use HomeInsurance.net completely free of charge, and you are under no obligation to anyone who provides a quote. There’s no risk at any point in the process.
Who qualifies for discounts on HomeInsurance.net?
Most insurance companies offer price discounts to customers who meet certain conditions. This is because some people inherently pose less risk from a statistical standpoint, while other discounts are offered as a kind of reward for being a good customer.
End providers retain the exclusive right to decide what types of discounts they wish to offer, but many companies that partner with HomeInsurance.net give price breaks to:
- Consumers who bundle their home insurance with another type of coverage, such as auto insurance
- Policyholders who use anti-theft products and systems, such as reinforced windows or burglar alarms
- People who go for an extended period of time without filing a claim
- Senior citizens, married people, and new homeowners
- People who own recently renovated or newly built homes
- Customers who live in gated communities or other secure private areas
Many insurers only offer these discounts to customers who ask for them, so don’t hesitate to query the provider you decide to go with to see if you qualify.
Pros and cons
HomeInsurance.net offers the following distinct advantages:
- The service is free and easy to use
- It generates immediate results from multiple reputable providers that come with no risk or obligation
- The site creates a competitive bidding environment that usually results in price breaks for consumers
On the downside, the service also has some drawbacks, including:
- The site offers very little information to visitors who do not fill out its questionnaire
- HomeInsurance.net is not itself an insurance company, so it does not provide claims support or customer service for policyholders
HomeInsurance.net is an option well worth exploring if you’re looking to compare the terms and costs of various home insurance policies quickly and easily. The site’s inherently competitive bidding environment is a big plus for consumers, and it only takes a few minutes to obtain quotes.