Unlike a large majority of other meal delivery services, Bistro MD’s menu was designed by a medical doctor. The company’s goal is to help its subscribers break entrenched bad eating habits and replace them with sustainable, healthy alternatives.
Another unique feature of the Bistro MD approach is that it offers delicious options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Most competitors only feature lunch and dinner entrees, leaving their subscribers hanging when it comes to the most important meal of the day.
Bistro MD has been featured by major media outlets and shows including The Biggest Loser, The Doctors, Dr. Phil, NBC, and Lifetime Network. This coverage has given the company a high profile, but does reality stack up to its promotional claims?
Let’s take a look.
How Bistro MD works
Bistro MD prides itself on the simplicity of its system. All you do is choose and customize your meal plan, then wait for your order to be delivered to your door. Bistro MD takes care of all the details, from nutrition planning to shipping. You can order by phone or online.
At the customization stage, Bistro MD also affords customers the chance to consult a registered dietitian. Thus, subscribers can optimize their orders to meet their personal weight loss, weight maintenance, and healthy living goals.
Bistro MD’s meal plans and food options
Bistro MD offers five unique meal plans:
- Standard: Available as a men’s program or a women’s program, the Standard plan reflects the company’s most popular option.
- Gluten-free: This plan is ideal for those with celiac disease, gluten intolerances, or a preference for gluten-free eating.
- Heart Healthy: The Heart Healthy plan draws on medical research to deliver an eating program that supports weight loss, lower cholesterol, and lower blood pressure. It specifically targets saturated fats and sodium.
- Diabetic: Prediabetic and diabetic individuals seeking natural, diet-based methods of controlling glucose levels will enjoy this healthy plan.
- Menopause: The Menopause program is among the only ones of its kind on the market. It delivers a carefully balanced weight loss program rich in the macronutrients premenopausal and menopausal women need most.
You can also specify whether you want full-program service for three meals per day, or just lunches and dinners.
All meal plans are configured for weekly service, and Bistro MD gives its customers unprecedented levels of control over the meals they receive. Unlike many competitors, Bistro MD gives subscribers the freedom to completely customize what they receive with each delivery, and to create unique, one-of-a-kind meal plans for special prices.
All said, Bistro MD offers more than 150 unique meal options. No matter what plan or meals you choose, you can be sure that your food will meet the following standards:
- No trans fats
- No added MSG
- No freeze-dried foods
- No shelf-stable foods
Every meal delivers a nutritionally balanced, delicious eating experience while meeting or beating American Heart Association guidelines for calories, total fat, saturated fat, and sodium levels.
Bistro MD delivers more than just food. The company functions as a healthy living and weight loss partner, providing customers with a long list of resources and supplementary services designed to help them meet their personal fitness goals.
- Dietary analysis and dietary support services
- Personalized customer service
- Purpose-built weight loss programs, created by established experts, that match your unique needs, lifestyle, and fitness objectives
You will be able to access these services through your account, once you have signed up and arranged delivery for your first week’s order.
Bistro MD advertises meal plans that start at less than $98 per week, which is one of the most affordable rates in the industry. The actual price you will pay depends on numerous factors, including the meal plan you select and whether you want a full three-meal-per-day program or just lunch and dinner. Bistro MD also lets you decide whether you want meals to cover five or seven days per week.
Here’s how their pricing models currently break down for the Gluten-freeHeart HealthyDiabetic, and Menopause plans:
- Full program, 7 days: $142.46
- Full program, 5 days: $119.96
- Lunch and dinner, 7 days: $119.96
- Lunch and dinner, 5 days: $97.46
Bistro MD regularly offers promotions and special discounts, so be sure to check their website for the most up-to-date pricing information.
A couple of other things to note:
- Standard plans feature varied pricing, depending on whether you opt for the Men’s Program or the Women’s Program
- All seven-day meal programs provide seven breakfasts, seven lunches, and six dinners plus a built-in break known as “My Night” on the seventh day
The Bistro MD model encourages subscribers to supplement their meals with healthy snacks, which can be included for a modest price upgrade. Alternately, you can learn more and collect expert recommendations through the company’s customer self-service portal.
Pros and cons
Reviewers and Bistro MD customers regularly cite the following advantages of the program:
- Excellent, restaurant-quality, chef-prepared foods
- A very wide range of meal options
- Unique meal plans for diabetics, heart-conscious dieters, and menopausal women
- Breakfast is available
- Very good and highly responsive customer service
On the down side, some reviews mention the following criticisms:
- The company does not offer vegetarian or vegan options
- Customer cannot buy meals individually, and service is only available as part of a weekly plan
- Snacks cost extra
Actual experiences on the Bistro MD programs vary. If you choose to do your own supplementary research, look for general trends instead of placing undue emphasis on any one review, especially if they are unmoderated and user-generated.
In our opinion, Bistro MD is a worthy option for health-conscious consumers seeking a convenient, delicious, and affordable way to incorporate better eating into busy lifestyles. It also holds strong appeal for premenopausal and menopausal women as well as diabetic individuals and people managing heart conditions, as it offers uniquely formulated menus for people with these special needs.