Founded in 2007, Zoosk is an online dating site with 40 million members speaking 25 languages across 80 countries.
With such a large and diverse user base—a user base that sends over 3 million messages a day—Zoosk doesn’t cater to any type of audience specifically, but offers a dating service that anyone can quickly pick up and use to start connecting with suitable matches in their area.
Pros and Cons
- Ability to sign up and start matching in minutes
- Huge user base across 80 countries in 25 different languages
- Offers a variety of identity verification and privacy settings
- Limited features for free users
- Not the widest selection of audience filters
Zoosk’s sign-up process is very swift and can be completed in a matter of minutes. It requires you to provide:
- Your gender
- Who you’re interested in (males or females)
- Your birthday
- Your email
- Your chosen password
Then, to help quickly put together your matching profile, Zoosk asks for:
- Your location (Zoosk usually automatically detects this)
- Your body type
- Your children status
- Your highest level of education
- Your ethnicity
- Your height
- Your religion
After providing this information, Zoosk will run you through a simple tutorial explaining how to navigate your dashboard and then begin showing you your matches.
How Matching Works
Matching on Zoosk works much the same way as most dating sites: you’re shown people who fit the parameters you provide when first signing up.
The nice thing is that Zoosk allows you to see more information about a match at a glance than many other dating sites, including all the characteristics described in the signup section above.
While you can see your matches immediately after signing up, you’ll need to provide a portrait photo of yourself before you can message your matches.
You’re also encouraged to provide additional information to help Zoosk better refine your matches, including:
- Your interests
- A short description about yourself and your ideal date
- Whether or not you smoke
- What industry you work in
- Your income
- Whether or not you would date someone with a child
- Whether or not you would like to restrict your matches only to certain ethnicities
- Whether or not you would like to restrict your matches only to certain religions
You can start communicating with matches in three ways on Zoosk (as titled on the navigation menu on the left side of your dashboard):
- Search: In the Search section of your dashboard, you can simply message matches, online or otherwise.
- Carousel: In the Carousel section, you’re shown photos of matches with only basic information. You can then approve or disapprove based on whether or not you like the photo. If you have a premium subscription, you can also choose to “Instant Crush” matches that you really like or “Undo” matches you mistakenly approve.
- Online Now: This section is the same as the Standard matching but only shows you online matches.
In terms of the actual messaging itself, you can type messages, send “smiles”, send “likes” and even send virtual gifts to your matches which show up on their public profiles.
Zoosk employs a number of identity verification measures to make sure their users are really who they say they are. These measures include:
- Photo verification (currently only available through Zoosk’s Android or iPhone app)
- The option to request more photos
- Identity verification via phone number, Facebook, or Twitter
- The ability to browse profiles “invisibly” (allows you to not show up on users’ “Views” section, which shows who visited their profile)
Premium members can also use “Hide and Seek”, which allows you to better control the attention you receive with three levels of visibility:
- Hide: Hide your profile so only people you message can see you
- Seek: Be fully visible and let people know when you view them
- Sneak: Be fully visible and check out people without letting them know when you view them
Zoosk allows you to set up your account and see your matches for free. However, if you want to start having conversations with your matches, connect with SmartPick™ introductions, and see the profiles of people who have viewed your profile, you need to pay for a subscription.
Currently, Zoosk offers four different subscriptions:
- 12 months for $12.50 per month (or one payment of $149.99)
- 6 months for $12.50 per month (or one payment of $75.99)
- 3 months for $20.00 per month (or one payment of $59.99)
- 1 month for $29.99 per month (or one payment of $29.99)
You can also opt to purchase Zoosk coins to access certain premium features instead of paying for a subscription. However, Zoosk coins allow access to features that aren’t automatically provided even to paid subscribers, making them useful for both free and paid users.
With Zoosk coins, you can:
- Promote yourself to other members with Boost (which highlights you in the search results, messages inbox, and Carousel of other people)
- Unlock matches in Carousel
- Buy virtual gifts for your matches
- Get delivery confirmations on messages
The pricing for Zoosk coins is as follows:
- 180 coins: $19.95
- 480 coins: $39.95
- 1800 coins: $99.95
While Zoosk’s features for free users and their audience filters are a little limited, you can set up your profile and start seeing your matches in a matter of minutes. There are also plenty of support features (some free and some paid) to ensure that your profile gets seen by a lot of people. And with a user base in the tens of millions spanning across 80 different countries, you’re bound to connect with plenty of matches no matter where you are.
If you’re stepping into the online dating world for the first time, Zoosk is perfect for you. Similarly, if you don’t have a lot of specific requirements and just want to start speaking with suitable matches in your area quickly, Zoosk is the site for you.