Silver Singles Review
SilverSingles is an online dating site helping mature, older, and senior singles, most aged 50 and over, make authentic connections with like-minded people. Founded in 2002, SilverSingles now boasts 50,000 new sign-ups every week and matches approximately 2,000 couples every month.
Their members, who they describe as having a wide range of personalities, lifestyles, and hobbies, hail from all across America and beyond, also helping mature singles form connections in Canada, the UK, Australia, France, and Germany.
Pros and Cons
- Focuses on forming genuine connections for mature singles
- Easy to use and doesn’t require the use of an app (although an app is available for those who want it)
- Personalized matching and plenty of ways to communicate
- Quite restricted access for free users
- Fewer matches per day compared to other sites
SilverSingle’s registration process first requires you to provide basic information about yourself and the type of person you’re looking to connect with, such as your gender, birthday, and the gender of your desired match.
You’re then directed to a personality test—the answers to which help inform SilverSingles find compatible matches for you. More specifically, this test helps SilverSingles pair you with people based on your goals, values, and plenty of other factors and preferences.
After finishing your test, you can add photos and more information about yourself on your profile by following the instructions in each section. You can also add specific filters to narrow down your matches, such as if you’re interested in mature dating, gay senior dating, or older women dating.
If you’re having trouble with setting up your profile, or just don’t know how to best present yourself, you can read the many free articles offered by SilverSingles for tips on what to write in your dating profile and how to choose the perfect profile picture.
How Matching Works
SilverSingles matches you with people who are deemed suitable for you based on your personality test results. Additionally, their Customer Care team performs daily checks to not only ensure that the people you’re matched with are, in fact, real people, but also that they’re using the platform seriously to find meaningful matches.
And because SilverSingles mainly appeals to mature singles over 50, they don’t require the download of any third-party app or much searching from the user to find matches. Instead, all matches are conveniently presented on your dashboard automatically.
That said, if you do prefer to use an app over a desktop, SilverSingles does offer an app for your smartphone or tablet.
SilverSingles offers a number of ways to get in touch with matches, including:
- Send a personalized message: Introduce yourself to your match and tell them a little more about yourself. You can do so via their profile, or via your Matches list.
- Send a Smile: You can send a Smile as a greeting or simply to express your interest. You'll find this option directly on their profile or via your Matches list.
- Send an Icebreaker: Break the ice by sending a question. You'll find this option on the Matches list. Click or tap the "Send icebreaker" button, select a question and send. Alternatively, select "Send Message" and click/tap "Send an icebreaker". You can send one question per match as long as you have had no previous interactions.
- Comment on or "like" a profile entry or photo: Comment on a profile entry or photo by clicking/tapping on the speech bubble. Type your remark or question in the box that appears and click/tap "Ok". Like a photo or profile entry by clicking/tapping on the thumbs-up button.
- Send a photo request: This will add you to their Matches list and they will be prompted to upload a photo.
Any time you take any of the actions above, your match will receive a notification, and vice-versa. For those worried about privacy, only you and your match can see your interactions together—interactions that are deleted if you or your match decide to disconnect.
SilverSingles takes user security seriously, employing elements like ID Authentication, SSL Encryption, and a Fraud Detection System to maintain the privacy and safety of their users. They also don’t reveal your data to any third-party company, or to other members.
And as already mentioned, SilverSingle’s Customer Care team carries out daily profile checks on all members. This significantly reduces the number of fake profiles on the site while simultaneously filtering out users who aren’t serious about finding meaningful connections.
While SilverSingles does offer a free version of their service, it’s meant more to give you a small taste of the full experience you get with a premium membership. Therefore, with a free membership, you’re only able to sign up, receive your matches and communicate with your matches in very limited ways.
If you decide to upgrade to a premium membership, you get unlimited access to other profiles and photographs, unrestricted communication with other premium members, and read receipts for sent messages. You can also create a more detailed online profile and view more profiles thanks to gaining access to a search feature.
For a clearer picture of the differences between SilverSingle’s free and paid memberships, we’ve highlighted the key features below.
- Can take the personality test and set up your profile
- Access to matches
- Limited communication with matches
- Unlimited access to other profiles and photographs
- Unrestricted communication with other premium members
- Read receipts for sent messages
- More detailed online profiles
- Access to more profiles
- 12 Months: $27.95/month
- 6 Months: $37.95/month
- 3 Months: $49.95/month
If you’re over 50 or looking to date mature singles, there’s no better choice than SilverSingles. It does away with flashy interfaces and swipe-heavy apps and focuses entirely on offering an easy-to-use dating service that prioritizes meaningful connection.
SilverSingles accomplishes this by employing strenuous security measures, offering plenty of free dating resources for easy and attractive profile creation, and requiring all users to fill out an extensive personality test upon signing up.
Combined, these features, among others, make SilverSingles a safe choice for seniors new to the online dating scene, mature singles tired of the tropes of other dating sites or anyone in between looking to simply find a life partner.