Elite Singles Review
EliteSingles is as serious as it gets when it comes to online dating, marketing itself as the US’ leading dating service for educated singles looking for serious relationships.
Founded in 2008, EliteSingles now boasts a membership of more than 13 million singles—a membership that grows by an average of 381,000 new members every month—across 25 countries worldwide, including the United States, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa.
In terms of successful matchmaking, EliteSingles helps 2,500 singles find love each month—more than 80% of which are “above average” educated.
Pros and Cons
- 85% of members hold an “above average” education and 90% are 30+ years old
- All profiles are human verified to significantly reduce inactive and fake accounts
- Non-serious profiles, even if real, are proactively removed
- More expensive than your average dating site
- Limited features for free users
No lengthy application process here; you can sign up for EliteSingles and start matching with people in less than ten minutes.
To set up your profile, simply follow these four steps:
- Enter your gender, the gender of the partner you are looking for, your email address and your password.
- Complete their 5 Factor personality questionnaire (explained more in-depth in the “How Matching Works” section below).
- Select a username (they encourage you to use your first name).
After finishing your personality questionnaire, your profile is immediately activated and ready to use. If you like, you can also add additional details about yourself to your profile.
And if you need help with your profile at any point, EliteSingles provides articles, guides, and an active customer service team to help you with everything from writing messages to matches to choosing the right profile pictures.
Once you’re happy with your profile, just hit “Matches” to start seeing your suggested matches.
How Matching Works
At the pinnacle of EliteSingles’ matching system is the 5 Factor personality questionnaire. According to EliteSingles,
“Initially developed in the 1990s, (the 5 Factor personality questionnaire) is one of the most important and renowned concepts in modern psychology. Using the results of five personality dimensions, we are able to identify couples who are particularly compatible to a long and happy relationship together.”
The five personality dimensions considered are openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism. Depending on how you score on these traits, EliteSingles will match you with people who fit with or complement your personality.
On top of this, EliteSingles also takes into consideration any personal preferences (whether or not you want children, for example), as well as demographic information including gender, age, location, profession, and level of education, when deciding who to match you with.
With all of this information, EliteSingles does all the work to provide you with 3-7 suitable matches per day delivered right to your desktop or mobile app—you don’t have to do any searching yourself.
Location- and niche-specific dating
In addition to this more hands-off approach, EliteSingles also offers location- and niche-specific dating for those who have a more clear-cut idea of what they want. For example, not only does EliteSingles offer location-specific dating in New York, LA, Chicago or “anywhere in between,” but they also cater to such specific communities and niches as:
- Asian dating
- Christian dating
- Jewish dating
- Gay dating
- Senior dating
- Professional dating
To communicate with your matches, EliteSingles allows you to:
- Send a personalized message: Introduce yourself to your match and tell them a little more about yourself. You can do so via their profile, or via your Matches list.
- Send a Smile: You can send one as a greeting or simply to express your interest. You’ll find this option directly on their profile or via your Matches list.
- Send an Icebreaker: Break the ice by sending a question. You’ll find this option on the Matches list. Click or tap the blue button, select a question, and send. Alternatively, select “Send Message” and click/tap “Send an icebreaker”. You can send one question per match as long as you have had no previous interactions.
- Comment on or “like” a profile entry or photo: Comment on a profile entry or photo by clicking/tapping on the speech bubble. Type your remark or question in the box that appears and click/tap “Ok”. Like a photo or profile entry by clicking/tapping on the thumbs-up button.
- Send a photo request: This will add you to their Matches list and they will be prompted to upload a photo.
- Visit their profile: Your match will be notified even if you just visit their profile.
Any one of these actions—none of which can be undone—will result in your match receiving a notification in their Messages. However, if you or your match delete one another, your combined interactions will be deleted.
Given the high-quality nature of their members, EliteSingles takes safety and privacy more seriously than your typical dating site.
For one, 100% of profiles are verified by a human once the profile is created and again via daily profile quality checks. Through this process, they significantly decrease the number of fake and inactive members on their site.
They then go one step further and proactively remove users they suspect aren’t serious. This means that, beyond not having to deal with fake or inactive accounts, you’re also more likely to only match with people who are as serious as you are.
They also employ SSL Encryption and Fraud Detection Systems to ensure that the data of their members remains safe and secure.
With a free EliteSingles membership, you can:
- view your personality test results
- receive partner suggestions
- send smiles and likes
- upload photos
This is just a small snippet of the features you gain access to as a Premium member, which include:
- your personality test results are explained in more detail
- being suggested to other Premium members more frequently
- you can see who visited your profile
- you can send and receive an unlimited number of messages
- you have access to all your matches’ photos
- you can leave comments on profiles and photos
- the “Have you met?” feature provides you with up to 20 additional matches every day
- you have access to the Premium features on their iOS and Android apps
To gain access to all of these Premium features, you can expect to pay:
- $39.95 per month for a 6-month membership ($239.70 total)
- $52.95 per month for a 3-month membership ($158.85 total)
- $99.95 for a 1-month membership
With a large membership consisting mostly of educated over-30-year-olds, industry-leading profile vetting to reduce inactive, fake and non-serious profiles, the option for location-and niche-based targeting, and a comparatively high membership fee to help deter non-serious users, EliteSingles is tailor-made for serious daters looking for long-lasting relationships.